Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Healing Power of Pets

     If you live on campus this information will probably be of no use to you, although I bed you could get away with owning a fish.  If you live on your own I would suggest getting a pet.  It doesn't have to be a dog or a cat, even guinea pigs and rabbits can help battle stress and loneliness. Having a pet can really help to manage depression.

Benefits of owning a pet:
  • You are no longer talking to yourself...you're simply talking to your pet.
  • You can go crazy on toys and treats and it will still be cheaper than having a child ;)
  • You have just signed up for constant companionship
  • It is a great feeling to know someone misses you while you're away
     I have included a few links that expand on this. I have also embedded a photo of my cat, George, just because he is...you know...the love of my life and all.


  • Some information on how pets help with depression.
http://www.everydayhealth.com/depression/pet-therapy-and-depression.aspx 


  • A WebMD article on the subject
http://www.webmd.com/depression/recognizing-depression-symptoms/pets-depression




1 comment:

  1. Your cat is adorable! I love cats and have four of them at my house along with two horses. Pets are amazing companions and I'm not sure what I would do without mine.

    ReplyDelete